Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cameron Todd Willingham, Texas, and the death penalty : The New Yorker

Did Texas execute an innocent man?

It's long, but well worth reading. It appears that Texas relied more on machismo, gut feelings, and the hokey-pokey instead of due process, science, and reliable investigators. So they killed an innocent man. After making him spend ~15 years in prison. After his children were killed in the fire. Which he was blamed for, along with wanting to murder them. And his wife left him while he was in prison.
Way to kick a man when he's down, Texas.
This is not good. If you ever have power over another man's life, be very sure you have the right to take it. We all answer to God in the end.

People of Walmart
On a less horrifying note, here's something I found from my sister. People of Walmart. If you are not an American, this is the sort of thing you can see in America. I don't care which picture it is, you can see this sort of thing almost anywhere, if you're lucky.
I love my country, and I try to love people the same way God does, but...sometimes it's harder. If they just look crazy, or are poor, or whatever, hey, I've done that, and that's nothing much. We are the same to God. It's the ones who are crazy with attitude that are harder to love. The arrogant ones. And yet I know God loves them, too. My Savior is far more amazing than I could ever hope.
Anyway, it's picture of people (and their things) at Walmart.

No comments: